our history

St. Mark’s has a rich history, much of which is stuffed into boxes in a storage loft. As we sort through the boxes and organize the archives, we’re going to share bits and pieces of our history on this blog. Our hope is to dust off some memories so that the events, and more importantly the people, who built this congregation starting with that first meeting on Seale Street in 1948, will not be forgotten. We hope you will comment, share your own memories, correct any errors, and help us identify the people and events in the pictures we post.

  • All
  • 1948-1970
  • 1971-1990
  • Identify This Picture
  • Memorials
  • Stained Glass
  • Then and Now
  • Time Capsule

St. Mark’s Church Cat

During the 1980’s, St. Mark’s had its own church cat – aptly named Magnificat. Some remember Magnificat as …

Keep Reading

The Jerusalem Stone

There’s an odd little gray piece of what looks like marble just outside the door of the main …

Keep Reading

The Nativity Window in ST. Nicholas Chapel – Beulah Hay Radford

The Nativity window is located in the St. Nicholas Chapel at St. Mark’s. This is the only St. …

Keep Reading

Rogation Sunday – 1949

Traditionally celebrated on the fifth Sunday after Easter with processions and prayers, Rogation Sunday invites people “to ask …

Keep Reading

Planting Trees in 1949 – The first Work Day?

The parcel of land purchased for the saint marks campus in 1948 had never been developed – it …

Keep Reading

The Moses Window in St. Nicholas Chapel – Julia Woodward Nichols

The Moses window is located in the St. Nicholas Chapel at St. Mark’s The window was given in …

Keep Reading

Rose Window – Henry, Harry and Lawrence Meiggs

The Rose window is located in the St. Nicholas Chapel at St. Mark’s The window was given in …

Keep Reading

10 Things You probably Didn’t Know About the Parish Hall

In the early years, St. Mark’s grew faster than it could build space for its activities. The first …

Keep Reading

St. Nicholas Window – Rev. Dr. E. Tanner Brown

The St. Nicholas Window is located in the St. Nicholas Chapel in St. Mark’s Church The window was …

Keep Reading

Vestry-Book

May, 1952 – Vestry Minutes

The Vestry met on May 21, 1952. Canon West was the Rector. This month’s meeting focused on financial …

Keep Reading

Vestry-Book

July, 1962 – vestry minutes

The Vestry met on July 11, 1962. Spencer Rice was the Rector. After approving the Treasurer’s Report and …

Keep Reading

Cooking Class

This photo was labeled “Cooking Class.” Gretchen Emmons, Sue Anderson and Rags Kelly are fifth, sixth and seventh …

Keep Reading

the organ – the philbrick’s

Although the church was organized in 1948, The Philbrick Memorial Organ was not installed until 1957. Up to …

Keep Reading

Mission versus Parish

New Episcopal congregations often start out as missions and eventually become parishes. What’s the difference? Here’s how Robert …

Keep Reading

the church steeple – eban takamine

The steeple, or spire, on the main church is given in memory of a man who never set …

Keep Reading

the boar’s head dinner

From 1951 until at least 1961, St. Mark’s hosted an annual medieval pageant called The Boar’s Head Dinner. …

Keep Reading

Vestry-Book

February, 1959 – Vestry Minutes

60 years ago, the Vestry decided to tentatively ratify the annual budget of $68,170 for 1959 (an optimistic …

Keep Reading

Show me the money

After just a few meetings in early 1948, it was obvious to the St. Mark’s founding group that …

Keep Reading

Ten things you probably don’t know about St. Mark’s chapel

1.  The Chapel was the first building constructed by the new St. Mark’s congregation. 2.  The congregation held …

Keep Reading

The rectory – then and now

st. mark’s rectory then… St. Mark’s first official Rectory (or house where the Rector of the Parish lives) …

Keep Reading

may, 1984 – the messenger

In May, 1984, Rector Colin Campbell announced that he was seeking a new call and planned to leave …

Keep Reading

the altar and the pulpit

Our current altar had a previous life as a pulpit. The original pulpit in the main church was …

Keep Reading

25th anniversary celebration

St. Mark’s celebrated its 25th anniversary with a special service in May of 1973. In this picture, it …

Keep Reading

june, 1995 – the messenger

Carol Cook was the interim Rector at St. Mark’s. In 1995, Pentecost was on June 4. On Pentecost Sunday the 8:00 and 10:00 a.m. …

Keep Reading

Acolytes in the 80’s

This picture was taken at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco sometime in the 1980’s. We know the St. …

Keep Reading

the chapel rose window – harvey bassett clarke

The Chapel Rose window is located in the west end of St. Mark’s Chapel The window was given …

Keep Reading

angel icon – amber hendry

Amber Rose Hendry, daughter of Lyn Klay (a member of one of St. Mark’s original founding families) and …

Keep Reading

1978 parish retreat – who are we?

This photo was in a packet of photos labeled “1978 Parish Retreat.” It’s definitely taken at Bishop’s Ranch …

Keep Reading

a temporary home

The St. Mark’s Mission needed a place to hold worship services while the new Chapel was under construction. …

Keep Reading

What’s in a name?

On March 2, 1948, 27 people gathered at the home of Colonel and Mrs. Walter Gaspar on Dana …

Keep Reading

In the beginning

It was 1948. World War II was over and there was a baby boom underway in the United …

Keep Reading

june, 1985 – the messenger

The Reverend Richard Ford was the interim Rector of St. Mark’s. On June 2, the combined choirs of …

Keep Reading

The Chapel – then and now

The St. Mark’s Chapel Then…. The original Chapel, built in 1948, had a much larger interior space. It …

Keep Reading

the bishop’s chair and more – fritz barkan jr.

In the Church Chancel, there’s a plaque high on the left-hand wall that lists the Altar Window, Pulpit, …

Keep Reading