Our Bishop, Marc Andrus, has announced that he will retire in 2024, so a process to choose a new bishop has started. (Full information is available at https://diocalbishopsearch.org/.) The timeline is:
- The Search Committee will hold a series of “listening sessions” to learn what we want in a new bishop. Meeting will be held in each deanery (11/12, 11/16, 12/1, 12/3, 12/7/22). Our Peninsula Deanery’s session will be held at St. Paul Church, 415 El Camino Real, Burlingame at 10am-noon December 3. See below for what the search committee expects at these meetings.
- April 2023 Diocesan Profile published, for perusal by potential bishop candidates.
- June 1, 2023 Deadline for nominating candidates.
- September 15, 2023 Slate of Nominees announced. Start of petition period for considering additional nominees.
- October 27, 2023 Additional nominees by petition announced.
- November 3-5, 2023 Nominees and diocesan laity and clergy meet each other.
- December 2, 2023 Election of new bishop
- May 4, 2024 Consecration of new bishop
- July 24, 2024 Bishop Marc retires; new bishop takes over.
The Search and Transition Committee invites all members of the Diocese of California to share in a conversation about our hopes for the next bishop. The data gathered at these meetings will form the core of the diocesan profile—the descriptive document we will publish to seek applicants to serve as the Ninth Bishop of California.
We want to hear what you believe the skills, qualities, and gifts our next bishop will have that will lead us forward in the next ten to fifteen years. All the data will be compiled and compared to discern more clearly where the Holy Spirit is leading us in this critical work.
What are the most critical issues facing the Diocese of California? What gifts or skills will our next bishop need to lead the diocese? What is our shared vision of the Beloved Community that we want to offer those who will discern if they wish to apply to the bishop search?
We will hold listening sessions in each deanery, although you may attend any that you would like to. We will also provide a Zoom link to these sessions for those who cannot come in person. Locations and dates for these listening sessions are listed below.
We look forward to seeing you at a listening session in the coming weeks!
Terry Moore, Diocesan delegates convenor for St. Mark’s